In honor of today’s release of the new Street Fighter movie (The Legend of Chun-Li, starring Kristin Kreuk, above), we decided to take a trip down memory lane and re-live cinema’s greatest adaptations of video games. Then we remembered that most video game-inspired movies suck, so we abandoned memory lane and started ranking the most ridiculous.
5. Street Fighter (1994) – The original Street Fighter adaptation inexplicably starred the mighty “Muscles from Brussels,” Jean-Claude Van Damme, and featured what may be the greatest ending ever:
4. Double Dragon (1994) – Don’t just take our word for it that this Alyssa Milano/Robert Patrick epic is worth remembering. Just check out one fan’s detailed breakdown of “Why the Double Dragon movie deserved to win the 1994 Academy Awards.” We presume he means all of them.
3. BloodRayne (2006) – As the trailer says, “She feasts. She lusts. She slays.” From that alone, it’s pretty clear why Sir Ben Kingsley wanted to get involved.
2. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) – The first Mortal Kombat movie was a big hit and got fairly good reviews. Then came this sequel. What went wrong? Quite a bit, according to this awesome version on YouTube:
1. Super Mario Bros. (1993) – Must be seen to be believed. Or, even better, don’t see it, and go on not believing it.